Sunday, June 27, 2010

Interior Design Classic

LivingRoom-1

Image via Erin Paige Pitts Interiors.

Erin and I hit it off immediately and have continued to stay in touch over the past few months. I was so excited when she offered to do a post in my series about "What we've learned". So, here is what Erin has learned.....

"East Coast "Sensibilities" meet West Coast "Cool""

Saying the East Coast invented the "blue and white" interiors would be like saying "Al Gore invented the Internet"!... But, with that being said, the east coast in particular, the coastal areas of the northeast are known for their crisp blue and white interiors with wide white painted moldings". What defines an "east coast" interior vs. a "west coast" interior one might ask? The northeast is known for having a slightly more formal, classical, even provincial approach to interiors. Wood floors against crisp white moldings with a mix of patterns, plaids, checks and prints. West coast interiors might have more of a mix- different wood finishes, old and new elements, a mix of materials, bolder patterns, greater contrast...

When an "east coast" native finds his or herself living in sunny California, that doesn't mean that they leave behind their east coast "sensibilities" and fully embrace a California style. More often, they bring some of their "roots" with them and want to combine them with elements of California "cool". In fact, there seems to be a real need for "east coast" interiors interpreted for the west coast. I am repeatedly told there is too much beige in California. I am also told the scale of the furniture if often "too big".

I feel a real connection with both coasts. I was born and raised on the east coast of Maryland but, have always felt like I should have been born and raised in Southern California. It is the relaxed "no fuss, no muss" attitude that attracts me. Luckily, I am now in a position to appreciate both with an interiors practice with projects on both coasts.

Over the years, I have been somewhat obsessed with the topic of east coast interiors out west. I have saved magazine and newspaper clippings referencing the topic and I am going to share a few of my favorites with you. Here is a residence from the June/July 2010 issue of Traditional Home. This house, is in Newport Beach. It has a shingle style exterior and lots of windows.

Img_schwary_ss14

I love the staircase in this home with all the beautiful wood paneling and dark floors. It is so crisp and fresh.

Img_schwary_ss3

The dining room chairs have slipcovers with a kick-pleat skirt.

Img_schwary_ss4

I love how in the kitchen, the homeowners did white cabinets but with red accents. A twist on the typical and very fresh. They then carried the red as an accent into the family room

Family room

In a totally different way, I love another house in the July/August 2009 Coastal Living, titled "Modern Country". It is a total she said, he said type of interior. She's from D.C. and he's from NYC. She wanted a more "formal, coastal home" and he wanted a "contemporary home with pop art".


No comments:

Post a Comment